View topic - coil internals /carbon bushing between windings and bakelite

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:34 pm 

Does anyone have a picture of the coil internals for a 1924 dodge Brother 4 cylinder . There is a bakelite component that serves as the recipticle for the high tension lead. That bakelite piece screws out of the coil. I need to know what the carbon bushing looks like. My coil is missing that carbon connection which connects the bakelite to the inner coil windings

Thanks
John Enright

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:21 pm 
Tried to take a Pic but the battery in the camera was dead,All I have is a spring (looks like a ball point pen spring)with no end on it between the plug for the coil wire and the coil.Hope this helps

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:01 pm 
That's all I have on my '24 too, Rick.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:45 pm 

Thanks! To both of you that helps a lot. Now I have an idea what was supposed to be inside the coil . I have bought a carbon generator bushing 1/4 square with the copper spring attached . I tested the spring it fits in the hole . Now I am going to file off the excess and make the carbon round so it will fit in to the bakelite . Sounds like what you describe is what I am thinking. I will let you know if it works.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:17 am 
There is no need for the carbon. It is used on the rotor because of the movement, the carbon keeps contact while moving around the cap. There is no movement in the coil, you only need electrical contact which is done through the spring.