View topic - 1932 Torque specs?

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1932 Torque specs?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:48 pm 

I'm putting the wheels back on my '32. They are the wood spokes. What are the lug bolt torque specs? Also, what should the axle nuts be torqued to? Thanks, Kyle

Post subject: Re: 1932 Torque specs?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:57 pm 
If you are referring to the spindle nut, the hub should be spun slowly only until the bearings begin to bind slightly; then the nut should be backed off one notch before installing the cotter pin.

Personally, I don't torque the lug nuts. I use a cross wrench, tighten them just snug in a cross pattern so everything is lined up right, then tighten them down until they feel good and tight without forcing them too much...you know, like those air guns do at the tire stores? Never had a wheel come off in 45 years!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:06 pm 

That is correct for the front spindle nut. My question though is for the rear axle nut. My 1935 Motors manual says the 1935 Dodge rear axle nut should be torqued to no less than 142 ftlbs. After looking at my 1932 Chiltons manual, it looks like the 1932 and the 1935 may have the same rear end. The 1932 Chevy and Fords should be torqued at 200-220 ftlbs. Can anybody tell me for certain what the torque setting is?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:53 pm 
I've Torqued mine to 125 ft pounds and have had no problems

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:37 am 

Thank you. I had another response off AACA that said the Plymouth's had the same part number for the nut its self and that he has not had any problems with 142 ft-lbs. Since my manual says a minimum 142 ft-lbs and Ford and Chevy are at 200-300 ft-lbs, I put my at 150 and then went to the next notch. No issues. I just wanted to make sure it took that much torque and wasn't like the modern cars where you seat the bearings and then back it off. Thanks again, I'm headed to it's first car show tomorrow and it's maiden voyage after 10 years of sitting.