View topic - 1926 Dodge Brothers Sedan Tires and Tubes

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:50 pm 

Hello all anyone know where to get tires or tubes? Do we have to change the Wood Spoke Wheels? The are so nice I would hate to have to change them but we cannot drive it with a flat tire.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:02 am 
Try http://www.cokertire.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:17 pm 
MOST old car tires are somehow connected to Coker. I have a few sets from them and have had very good service. I've even known a few people that got bad tires and Coker took care of the problem , IF approached correctly. Their tubes leave a LOT to be desired. If a tractor or MC tube will fit, I'd go that way, and I have. Search the web for comments.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:05 am 
I have purchased 5.25X21 tires for my truck from Lucas Tires. They are Firestone tires.
Check out their website. I got mine in Long Beach CA.
You will need a rim spreader if they are colapseable rims.
I am a greenhorn with these tires and have learned to use a rubber liner between the tube and the rim, and place talcum powder on tube.
Its easy to destory a tube.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:58 pm 
My understanding is that Coker owns the brand name molds, Firestone, Goodyear, etc. So all the tires go through them, are made south of the border or oversees. I think Lester might be the only remaining independant tire maker. They are at least available and of decent quality. There are some horror stories if you search far enough, but for the most part they will correct a problem tire. The tubes are, as I said, another issue. Dr. Joe and I got yelled at for calling them junk on AACA forum. I haven't changed my mind on that, and I doubt Joe has either. Only with the help of a friend did my tubes get replaced.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:58 am 

Concerning your tyre issue. I bought tyres and tubes from Universal for my 1923 Tourer and had no problems from them. They were also 5.25x21. They also shipped them to South Africa via DHL. Had them within 10 days.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:41 pm 

Coker is the only place I found tires for my '24. I wanted to change from 20" disc to 24" spoke which takes 32 x 4 tires. The $1500 price tage without tubes and liners for all 5 shocked me and for now I am staying with my 20" disc wheels.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:50 pm 

Lucas has 32x4 tires also but there isn't a cheap way to do those. I have looked forever, used ones almost never show up.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:42 pm 
Dave, I have a 32X4 that was the spare on my '24 when I bought it, stills has the nubbies never on the road. It is soft, looks brand new and I would not be afraid to use it. It is a Universal tire, says made in Elizabethtown, Pa. They haven't made tires for probably 40 years. Ann Kline used to own Universal and made her own tires. The new Universal is just a name and is owned by Coker. On the other hand, my neighbor has a set of less then five year old tires on one of his DBs. Has never turned a mile on the street and they are junk, I would not drive anywhere with them. They have big cracks all through the sidewall. And several of you on this forum remember the great inner tube problem that was discussed several years ago. While it's good that we can get products to keep our cars on the road, the quality just isn't there anymore. And making them in China, EEC or wherever doesn't make them cheap pricewise.