View topic - 1924 dodge help

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1924 dodge help
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:46 am 

Hi everyone

Finally worked out how to post a new thread.

My dodge is a 1924 A106449 - I'm unsure about the magneto/distributor set up.

I have been sold a magneto and read that the Ausie versions of the car had a magneto?/

Is this true? and wondering if the magneto is interchangable anyway. The firing order may be differenct. Could someone tell me the firing order of the engine and can I just organise the leads from the magneto to fire in the same order?

Also wondering about the timing advance and retard for this vehicle. I seen some cars with manual advance and retard. How does the magneto one work?

There seems to be lots of collective knowledge here so I'm hoping someone will take pitty on me. The car is ready to go as soon as I've organised the spark and timing.

Apreciate any help.

Shayne

Post subject: Re: 1924 dodge help
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:38 am 
The firing order for four cylinder DB's is 1342. Number one closest to the radiator. That is determined by the crankshaft and cam, the type of ignition would not change it. I know SOME aussie built DB's had a distributor. Why would you wish to change yours to a magneto? If you do not have one you need a Book of Information. That is what the owner's manual is called for DB's. Get an edition printed the closest before your car was built, might be April of 1923. DB's changed constantly and they printed mauals when it was warranted.