View topic - New member, with a question

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:59 am 

I have a number of Dodge vehicles. I am pretty new to the pre-38 genre though. I joined this forum to get schooled prior to a potential purchase. I am looking at buying what appears to be a 1914 Dodge. It's under the 370 vin number and while its had small modifications done over nearly 100 years it appears to be pretty much 90% it's original self. What is a realistic value and general rarity of the 1-370 vin cars ie. a true 1914 first month DB?

I'd prefer to pay a fair and honest value and not get hosed on the deal. This era of cars are new to me so I have a harder time gauging what the intrinsic and monetary value would be on this.

Thanks for any help!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:42 am 
The early cars have some very unique features. If you a DBC member contact the four cylinder tech advisor, Rodger. I don't think he is on this forum. He is one of THE most knowledgable members on these interesting cars. Is the shift pattern NON DB, with first gear to the left and BACK?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:17 am 

That I don't know. I know the transmission was replaced with a Mitchell 3-speed at some point.

I can't estimate how much I'd spend to 'correct' the car if I can't get a lock on how much these seemingly rarer 1914 cars are worth.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:48 pm 
Not to be a smartars, but they are worth from a dollar to 30,000. Without pictures and LOTS of details it would be difficult to say any closer. If you haven't closed the deal I wouldn't post pics publicly. Rodger has a few and KNOWS these early cars better then most anyone else. The real early cars carry there own mistique, and details. If parts are missing they will be hard to find as no one is giving up parts, or they are VERY expensive. He MAY know the car and be able to really help you and I know for a fact he wouldn't go behind your back. That's why I'm not asking for details here, not sure who reads here. If you don't have Rodger's contact, send me a PM with your email I will forward it to him. Even better I can give you a phone number, something like this should be talked about in person. I hope the car is in your price range and you can get it. A '15 is on my wishlist, earlier the better.