View topic - Harold Buckley - Rural Retreat VA

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:44 pm 

My First Post on this site isn't a happy one:

We lost a long time Dodge Lover / Historian / Collector / Restorer last week, with the passing of Harold Buckley of Rural Retreat VA, from Cancer. I’m not 100% sure but I think Harold was a founding member of the DB Club, someone can probably check records and let me know. Harold was a regular at Hershey for years, I think his 1918 Touring was with him in those early years. But Harold hadn't been to Hershey in years, I know when I stopped by the club booth several years ago, several of you I was talking with remembered Harold.

Harold followed his father into the dairy business but later started Buckley Auto Restoration in 1969, restoring mainly mopar products at first, but later branching out into restoring all makes and farm tractors, but his main love was always Dodge. Harold's love for old stuff lead him to “Custom” tractors several years ago, of course these tractor’s have Dodge / Chrysler related parts, so it was only natural that Harold and crew would fully restore several. Harold took his Custom Tractor to just about all the Tractor Pulls and shows in our area, winning & winning awards with it. Harold’s knowledge of the working of any old DB or newer Dodge was something books could have been written about. He was always willing to help anyone out with information on DB’s, or anything else for that matter. Although a small restoration shop, the quality they turn out is known all over our area. I’m happy to say that the family & friends plan to keep the business going and currently have projects in house from farm tractors to a Dodge Fire Truck and are expecting a Big Horn in soon.

On a personal note, Harold was a great friend for over 20 years and will be greatly missed. Years ago when I learned he had let his membership expire with the club, I started paying his dues each year as I paid mine. Although we didn't see each other in the last few months, we talked on the phone a couple of times and he was always upbeat talking about what he wanted to do this summer. I'll always remember Harold riding with me in one of my Dodge Fire Trucks last year during a parade and his excitement pushing the pedal for the siren on his side on the floor. As I walked up to the casket Saturday night, they had a Dodge hat he was always wearing laying with him. On my lapel was a DB pin, I took it off and asked the family to put it on him, which they did. – RIP Harold we will miss you… Nollie

I'm going to post 2 photos, I know they aren't 14-38 related, but they show Harold with his first Chrysler a Airflow petal car which he still owned and his prize Custom tractor. I've got some photos of Harold with his older DB stuff but it's pre-digital photos. I'd love to hear any old stories any of you have related to Harold, will gladly print them off and pass on to family members... THANKS!

Attachments:
100712-Harold&hispetalcar- 009.jpg
100712-Harold&hispetalcar- 009.jpg [ 173.76 KiB | Viewed 10999 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:46 pm 

NollieNeillJr wrote:
I'm going to post 2 photos, I know they aren't 14-38 related, but they show Harold with his first Chrysler a Airflow petal car which he still owned and his prize Custom tractor. I've got some photos of Harold with his older DB stuff but it's pre-digital photos. I'd love to hear any old stories any of you have related to Harold, will gladly print them off and pass on to family members... THANKS!

Attachments:
100512-HaroldBuckely-CustomTractor- 001.jpg
100512-HaroldBuckely-CustomTractor- 001.jpg [ 97.99 KiB | Viewed 10998 times ]