View topic - Starter Generator Chain Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:15 pm 

I am new to the DB Club. my father recently gave me a '24. Great Dad. When reassembling the motor and preparing for the first start after rebuild I was trying to install a new starter/generator chain. I had great difficulty with the chain pin, which was spit with a washer style head on it. I could not get it in the last 1/4 inch and then eventually decided to pull it back out and naturally it broke off with more than half of it still in the master link. Now I can't get it out or get the chain off.

I believe I am going to have to cut it off. Does anyone know if you can buy a repair link or do you have to buy a new chain? Is there a better style pin than a split pin in the chain I had that broke?

Is there a secret to getting that pin in there?

Thanks, Rick Whitehead
Stafford, Virginia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:08 am 
Richard, I believe Myers and Romar both sell new chain links. It sounds as though you may have to much tension on your chain, making it difficult to make your link. Back off on the adjustment ring to give more slack before your next attempt.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:55 pm 

Doug,
Thank you for the response. As an update, I was able to get the chain off and only damaged one link. I will check with the companies you mentioned to see if I can get replacement link without having to buy a whole new chain. Thanks again.