View topic - 1924 Touring Questions

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1924 Touring Questions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:56 pm 

This is my 24 touring my dad started on several years ago and I recently finished.
I just took it to a local car show and won a trophy for "Merchants Choice Award", there were 155 cars at the show and this is the only one with wood wheels. It got lots of attention.

I possibly would like to do more work to it in the future and have a few questions. The car has original engine etc. and I would like to keep or make the car as authentic as I can. I have looked at old pictures and what are supposed to be original or unrestored cars, but still not clear on a few things.

1. Are wood wheels painted body color, black, blue or natural? I read where blue was used on the wood wheels or they were painted the body color, but I have seen pictures from the 20's where the wheels were natural color, even though the picture was black and white, you could tell they were not painted blue or black. I also looked at what appeared to be a completely original car and the wheels did not appears to have ever been painted. Any opinions on this?

2. Metal rims black or zinc plated? I am pretty sure the original rims for these cars were zinc plated.

3. Is the steering wheel supposed to be black or natural?

Mine was painted black with what looked like spray can black. I took that off and underneath there was a shellac type finish over the wood. There was no other paints on the steering wheel. I see a lot of them painted black, but if it is supposed to be natural wood I would strip mine back down. I have not been able to find an original picture that show the steering wheel up close.

4. Body color for the touring, black only? I see paint colors chart on this site show black for the touring. The red on my car I know is not correct, but I have seen several restored cars that were dark green, blue or dark maroon. The chart is a conversion chart to other paint brands and might not be complete. Does anyone know where I might find colors for this touring or does everyone think black was the only color?

5. Radiator shell and bumpers, black or nickel? My car is a sport touring I think, it has the optional bumpers. They were black and the radiator shell was black when we got it. Are these supposed to be nickel?

Thanks for any info.

Larry

Attachments:
Dodge 1924 resized.jpg
Dodge 1924 resized.jpg [ 271.76 KiB | Viewed 12661 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:13 pm 
To the best of my knowledge in '24 all cars were black except the Fisher coupe which was blue and black. Wheels should be Dodge Brothers Blue. Wheel rims were zinc coated. That being said if I owned your car I would not change a thing, your car looks great. Enjoy it. BTW, if your car had cowl lights the grille shell would be nickle plated. Black on standard cars without cowl lights. Bumpers were usually aftermarket and could have been black or nickle.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:37 am 

Thanks Doug. That is some good info.

I like the red on this car and have seen several others similar and dark green looks really nice too. It gets lots of attention when we take it out.

I have always liked cars to be original colors, like 57 Chevy's, I don't think it has to be the color it left the factory with, but, I like them with one of the colors that was available that year. But, I might just leave this one red.

Thanks