View topic - Distributor Advance Linkage and Accelerator Pedal Mounting

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:24 am 

Hello all! I've been doing a bunch of searching and can't seem to find what I'm looking for in enough detail to actually build something. I'm working on finishing up the distributor right now, just got the points gaped today etc, but the one thing I haven't been able to figure out yet is the linkage to advance the timing by turning the distributor. I know it mounts to the hand controls, but since it needs to both push and pull, it can't be a typical sheathed woven cable, correct? I'm assuming it needs to be more of what an older lawn mower has for a choke cable where as it's the same style sheathing but the "cable" is actually something like a 16 gauge stainless wire or rod? Does anyone happen to have any close up pictures of what it looks like or how it attaches? It's a 1916 DB touring car serial 113756 with the delco distributor.

My second question is about the throttle pedal mounting. I can't seem to figure out how in the world it mounts to where it could actually control anything on the carb. It has 2 arms which one is obviously for the throttle, but why also have another arm? Maybe my pedal arm is bent or something but does anyone have any tips or might be able to show me a picture on how it mounts? I'm assuming somehow to the floorboard from what I can tell, but it appears to mount to the back of the board, which is what I can't seem to find any details on.

Thanks again!
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:21 pm 
Mike you need pictures of a '17, and I don't have one. There are hard rods that advance the distributor not cables. they attach to the quadrant behind the steering wheel. One arm is for hand throttle and other is advance/retard. The assembly attaches to the bottom of the cowl. Find a DBC member close to you that has a late '16 or '17 and pay them a visit with your camera.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:59 pm 
Mike, google 1917 dodge engine and look at Images for. You will see the metal rods i spoke of.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:08 am 

Michael,
The simple answer is there are MANY changes occurring from '16 to '18. Too many to answer here. I can scan in pix. from several master parts books and send personal email. The throttle pedal mech. changed from a double arm fastened to a shaft to a more complex bent looped device straddling the brake pedal. There are several rods and a sliding override connecting the pedal to the carb.
Also the cross shaft fastened to the firewall coupling the timing lever to the distributor or mag. and associated rods are similar but different including the little bellcrank at the flywheel housing on the pass. side. Suffice it to say too many similar but different items to describe in words.
Rodger "Dodger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:40 pm 

DougWalters wrote:
Mike, google 1917 dodge engine and look at Images for. You will see the metal rods i spoke of.

Yep, I see what you were talking about, I just couldn't seem to find a nice enough picture for me to really tell what was going on! Mr. Hartley was kind enough to share some pictures he had of the individual rods themselves, so now I can get to either trying to track some down or just making a set that will work and do the job for now until correct ones can be found.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:42 pm 

rodgerhartley wrote:
Michael,
The simple answer is there are MANY changes occurring from '16 to '18. Too many to answer here. I can scan in pix. from several master parts books and send personal email. The throttle pedal mech. changed from a double arm fastened to a shaft to a more complex bent looped device straddling the brake pedal. There are several rods and a sliding override connecting the pedal to the carb.
Also the cross shaft fastened to the firewall coupling the timing lever to the distributor or mag. and associated rods are similar but different including the little bellcrank at the flywheel housing on the pass. side. Suffice it to say too many similar but different items to describe in words.
Rodger "Dodger

Thank you again for all of those pictures. It proves that once again I'm missing many more pieces than I was originally told about hahaha. Oh well, eventually I'll get it all sorted out!