View topic - Wood Wheel Mounting Secrets

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:22 pm 

Hello all! So I've run into a bit of a conundrum. Getting my new wooden wheels mounted to the steel rims/tires and some go together without too much encouragement,

however I've found at least one that seems that the steel rim is bent slightly out of round, whereas the new wooden wheel is almost perfectly circular.

I've done about as much "helping" as I dare to with my 5lb sand hammer, but it just seems to be doing nothing but tearing up the rim. Are there any secrets? I'm sure I can't be the first to have a slightly out of round rim...I'm just not too sure what to do at this point, I really don't want to ruin anything but need to get these assembled.
Thanks!
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:52 am 
MichaelOh wrote:
Hello all! So I've run into a bit of a conundrum. Getting my new wooden wheels mounted to the steel rims/tires and some go together without too much encouragement,

however I've found at least one that seems that the steel rim is bent slightly out of round, whereas the new wooden wheel is almost perfectly circular.

I've done about as much "helping" as I dare to with my 5lb sand hammer, but it just seems to be doing nothing but tearing up the rim. Are there any secrets? I'm sure I can't be the first to have a slightly out of round rim...I'm just not too sure what to do at this point, I really don't want to ruin anything but need to get these assembled.
Thanks!
Mike

I have had this problem and I noticed my outer rim was not tured. The rim was slightly out of round. Over the years it has been distorted. Do not know how to fix.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:00 am 
You can see the rim damage in your pictures, didn't you notice the wave in the rim before? You might be able to deflate the tire and put a hydraulic jack against the base of the rim there and 'tweek' it out, but I think you may have to demount the tire and rework the rim. May take heating the rim to get it to move. A friend of mine did all my rims, made a plywood center to check the rims for being round.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:46 am 

David_Dewey wrote:
You can see the rim damage in your pictures, didn't you notice the wave in the rim before? You might be able to deflate the tire and put a hydraulic jack against the base of the rim there and 'tweek' it out, but I think you may have to demount the tire and rework the rim. May take heating the rim to get it to move. A friend of mine did all my rims, made a plywood center to check the rims for being round.

Of course I noticed it before, I'm not blind. It was assembled when I originally got it, so I assumed a wheel came out of it, so a wheel will go back in it. Anyways, I pulled the valve core and aired the whole thing down and did a bunch of negotiating with my big sand hammer and managed to get the wheel to mount to it without scratching the rim up too badly. Thanks for the tips, those are some pretty decent ideas, especially the bottle jack one. I'll have to try that next time I have a weird one like this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:49 pm 
Ah, you have learned a corollary to Murphy's Law, the one regarding parts fitment. Two parts that fit together when acquired will not go back together once restored, especially if shiny new paint or plating is involved!
Glad you got it together though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:17 pm 

David_Dewey wrote:
Ah, you have learned a corollary to Murphy's Law, the one regarding parts fitment. Two parts that fit together when acquired will not go back together once restored, especially if shiny new paint or plating is involved!
Glad you got it together though.

Hahaha yes, apparently making ANY assumptions about this car that I would normally have made with any other vehicle seems to have been proven incorrect. Haha. For a car that everyone assumes is "simple" this thing sure has taken me back to the drawing board quite a few times! I'll be posting some pictures soon, I just got the wheels on after having to make some custom inner wheel bearing thrust washers!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:50 am 

Since I had promised a relatively recent picture, here we are. Thanks again for all of the help everyone, she's getting there slowly but surely.