View topic - Brake line from master cylinder to....

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:47 am 

Hi Guys, newbie here.
i recently replaced the master cylinder in my 31 dh-6.
There is a 1/4" copper tube coming from the bottom of the master cylinder with a couple curls then off to the rest of the car. The copper tube was flared and attached with a standard flare nut or whatever.

Couple questions;
1. Was copper the original product used or was it steel?
2. Do I need the curly q's in the line?

The reason I ask is I want to do everything to keep this car in original condition including the little nuances of how cables and tubes and hoses etc are run.

I'll have a ton more questions im sure.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:45 am 
Copper was the original, not recommended now or legal in some states. I use cunifer, and alloy of copper and nickle available at most good parts stores. It has a dull copper appearance. It's not cheap but is very easy to work with, does not work harden like copper. I use it for gas and brakes. As to the loop I don't know. Does it show in a DB manual? If it was there from the factory it probably had a purpose.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:04 am 

I don't have the Db manual. I'm a complete Newbie and am working on getting all the paperwork and stuff from family.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:05 pm 
Go to the AACA website, click on library, click on online catalog, click on literature, search 1931 dodge. They have a manual they will copy and send for a few bucks on a credit card. It will be a paper copy you can get dirty working in the garage and won't have to worry about ruining an original manual. The manual they have looks to be an owner's manual, something you should have anyway. They also have other literature to help familiarize yourself with your car.