View topic - Wire size/gauge for a 1925 DB Touring Car

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:55 pm 

Hey there!

I am (slowly) trying to get a Series 1925 touring car (A178568) back on the road. An apparent task in front of me is to "fix" the wiring job previously done by someone before I bought the car. The wires are all red in color, various sizes, and hooked up incorrectly - per the wiring diagram in the Mechanics Manual.

Automotive wiring is a new topic for me (with the exception of the Lucas electric system on a '72 MGB back in high school). Dodge Brother cars are even newer.

In doing research, I am able to figure out the simplistic wiring (as compared to the spaghetti that was in the MGB, even in '72).
The problem that I am running into now is the size of the wires to be used.

I realize that the wires should be differently sized depending upon load and length of wire. 4ga for battery connections, main ground and starter connections. The rest is a bit of a mystery to me.

I don't want to go too large for fear of damaging the existing instruments.
I don't want to go too small for fear of under powering things or causing the wires to heat needlessly.

I also don't want to sound patently clueless but I am a paramedic by trade and a biologist and educator by formal training.

Help would be VERY appreciated!!

Thanks,
John

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:46 pm 

This might help.

Attachments:
Wire Size.jpg
Wire Size.jpg [ 239.69 KiB | Viewed 36575 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:11 am 

Another option is to buy a pre-made harness. Rhode Island Wiring handles them for '25 Dodge.
http://www.riwire.com/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:10 am 

Another source that I used for my 1925 DB Deluxe Sedan is YnZ's Antique Wiring and comes complete with wiring instructions. Link is http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/

Good luck!!

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:33 am 

Thanks for the help!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:37 pm 

You would have to be insane to pay those prices.
For a few dollars you can buy enough to wire 5 cars.
The chart even points to most being 12 gauge. I did my sedan in a day and $20.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:50 am 

Gary, DIY may be acceptable for a driver vehicle, or someone that has access to all the correct materials, however, if someone wants a show vehicle, or even a vehicle that looks original (and not DIY), then a purchased wire harness is the answer. Both these suppliers have the correct gauges, color coding, routing, and loom covers as original. Yours may look very nice and may be fine for a driver, but does it have loom covers? Does it look like the original? If so, good, you have a talent that many don't. Please don't think others are insane because they don't have such talent, access to origianl materials, or just plain want a vehicle that looks authentic.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:59 pm 
DavidPaul wrote:
Another option is to buy a pre-made harness. Rhode Island Wiring handles them for '25 Dodge.
http://www.riwire.com/

If I remember right RIW advertises they will modify their harness if you have a different year DB and it is wired differently, say for cowl lights or magneto. Amen David, to your last comment too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:29 am 

DavidPaul wrote:
Gary, DIY may be acceptable for a driver vehicle, or someone that has access to all the correct materials, however, if someone wants a show vehicle, or even a vehicle that looks original (and not DIY), then a purchased wire harness is the answer. Both these suppliers have the correct gauges, color coding, routing, and loom covers as original. Yours may look very nice and may be fine for a driver, but does it have loom covers? Does it look like the original? If so, good, you have a talent that many don't. Please don't think others are insane because they don't have such talent, access to origianl materials, or just plain want a vehicle that looks authentic.

Relax!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:15 am 

GaryPetrozza wrote:
DavidPaul wrote:

Relax!

Gary, maybe you are the one who should relax. This forum is for helpful comments, not attacks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:21 pm 

I didn't attack anyone. Tell me where I did that.
I just thought it a lot of money.

I am allowed my opinion. I have posted many times on the other site and found EVERYONE extremely helpful. Never a harsh word/comment in any conversation. I would have never gotten mine started without the clubs help.

So it looks like you are the one who needs to relax.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:06 am 

GaryPetrozza wrote:
I didn't attack anyone. Tell me where I did that.
I just thought it a lot of money.

I am allowed my opinion. I have posted many times on the other site and found EVERYONE extremely helpful. Never a harsh word/comment in any conversation. I would have never gotten mine started without the clubs help.

So it looks like you are the one who needs to relax.

Gary, by continuing this discussion and repeating that I need to relax, is not "friendly". Don't bother to respond, I have blocked you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:14 pm 

OMG How will I sleep now?!