View topic - What would you do?

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What would you do?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:07 am 

I got back from Minnesota, Saturday, with a 1926 sedan. It has appx. 58000 original miles and was running until 4 years ago when a piece of the distributor broke. ( I have a replacement piece) It appears I may be the 3rd owner. It was repainted with enamel sometime in the late 60s or early 70s. There is no rust other than one area on the driver's door that had minor surface rust and was painted with some black primer.
I have tried numerous time to post pictures but cannot seem to make it happen.
The questions are - If it was yours would you paint it? Would you try to blend in the couple of areas that are scratched or spot primed? Would you compound and wax or leave it as is? If compound/wax what is the recommendation for enamel?

Post subject: Re: What would you do?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:46 am 

Hi Paul, well done on getting your 26 back to your place. Sounds like a nice original car, hope you are able to get it running with just the distributor repair. I do like to see a vehicle completed restored, but that usually involves more time and money. Personally I like to keep as original as possible. I'm thinking just keeping this vintage of vehicles running safely will be challenge enough. On my recently purchased 26 that I'm working on reassembling, I have been using a combination of wax oil, cleaners and automotive waxes ( 3M & Maguire's ) on the original parts and will only be painting parts that were sanded down to metal in lacquer (paint brush ) to try and match the parts with the original parts with paint still intact. I would suggest spotting in with spray gun or even paint brush and wet sanding if surrounding paint is solid with your enamel paint then buff out with waxes in steps. Couldn't figure out posting photos also, but the web contact said he could post if that helps.Ken DBC 7051

Post subject: Re: What would you do?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:28 am 
KenWright wrote:
Hi Paul, well done on getting your 26 back to your place. Sounds like a nice original car, hope you are able to get it running with just the distributor repair. I do like to see a vehicle completed restored, but that usually involves more time and money. Personally I like to keep as original as possible. I'm thinking just keeping this vintage of vehicles running safely will be challenge enough. On my recently purchased 26 that I'm working on reassembling, I have been using a combination of wax oil, cleaners and automotive waxes ( 3M & Maguire's ) on the original parts and will only be painting parts that were sanded down to metal in lacquer (paint brush ) to try and match the parts with the original parts with paint still intact. I would suggest spotting in with spray gun or even paint brush and wet sanding if surrounding paint is solid with your enamel paint then buff out with waxes in steps. Couldn't figure out posting photos also, but the web contact said he could post if that helps.Ken DBC 7051

Share some pictures if you have some.