View topic - 1924 engine colors

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1924 engine colors
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:04 am 

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it in searching previous topics.
I am getting close to painting my engine and wondered what the correct colors were for the starter, fan, water pump, etc. I searched a lot of pictures and I see some painted engine color, some black, some silver, and so on. I also wondered if the stewart vacuum tank and the horn were both gloss black as well?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Rob

Post subject: Re: 1924 engine colors
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:28 am 
Look at factory photos not internet pics, like in your Book of Information. Although black and white you can tell darkness. I think vacuum tank, horn, and fan were all gloss because flattening agents are an additive. If you look at factory photos the chassis is shiny too. That is not to say they were perfect show quality. They were just making parts to sell cars. I think the water pump was engine color. Ask Rodger, the four cylinder tech adviser, but the original starter/gen that I have were not completely painted. There is a wide band around the fields that was plated, maybe cadmium, ends were black and bare aluminum.

Post subject: Re: 1924 engine colors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:38 pm 

Anything that was bolted to the engine after long block assembled and painted was painted black. I have been told that in the Hershey show judging that they look for different shads of black for different parts manufactures.