View topic - Windshield Stanchions for early 16, straight or angled?

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:42 pm 

My May 1916 DB touring came to me with angled stanchions. It was purchased from a back yard field where it had sat for many decades; I have no reason to suspect the stanchions had been changed, but who knows what happened to this car over the years! The stanchions do not appear to be bent, but made at an angle. I have another windshield (parts) I've picked up that also has the narrow mounting "posts" that are also angled. I don't know when the mounting posts were made larger, I just understand that's another "oddity" of the early bodies.
My car was made in those few months or weeks when some oddball parts were used, like the speedometer and the horn. I've misplaced my notes on these, but the speedometer remains I have have an air-powered speed indicator mechanism. (I've not found any others, so for now I'm using the "usual" Mansfield speedo--it fits the dash hole.--I'll probably also use a NE horn until I find the right one, since I have one in hand.). So did some of these early cars also have angled stanchions, or were mine changed out sometime in the past??
BTW, I restored an "extra" NE 12v horn to donate to the Oroville State Theatre Pipe Organ project. They just had a modern one, and they just don't "sound right"!

Some Model T Fords
One Model A, I'm the 2nd owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:13 pm 
I have not seen slanted posts until 1920. Does the top fit correctly? How about some closeup pictures of the foot where it enters the cowl?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:25 pm 

Well your Q made me go look at mine. My '23 Touring, the windshield struts that emerge from the cowl are angled back mebbe 10 ? degrees, and the upper stanchion is fastened in line with the lower. Even tho' there's a mount there that gives the appearance it could elbow adjust, mine is in a straight line.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:18 am 

I don't have a top yet, so can't tell you if it fits or not. When I get a chance I'll take a picture, but will have to figure out how to get it here with only a slow dial-up connection.

Some Model T Fords

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:28 am 

I would say either your car is 1920 - 1922 or someone bent your posts. No leaned back posts until 1920 as Doug said. I have seen so many DB's that are stated as the wrong years, not sure why that is except compared to Fords there are not as many DB's built so people are not as familiar with the differences in the years. Serial numbers are the only way to be correct. Check your frame numbers and see what year it really is.

Dave

Last edited by DaveWollam on Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:14 am 

David, and guys. Years ago I did a piece on DB windshields. It was in the Dodge Brothers News. July/Aug '88. On unidentified bodies in the yard, basically the tourings from '15 to '18 are identical with the rear fenders fastened on curved angle irons. In '19 the body was widened 2" and those rear fenders were fastened into recesses. That body style was basically the same up to '22. Lots of good info. in those old DBC News. Good Luck. Rodger "Dodger"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:01 pm 

Got Rodger's email, and after reading it, convinced Lloyd (where my car is stored) to go look at the stanchions again, and compare them to his '22. Well, guess what he found? Mine are BENT! done very nicely, but bent, so mystery solved!!!
Rats, I like the looks of the slanted w/s, but I'll do it correctly. After all, not many of these early ones around; mine even still has the magneto ignition. However, I don't have the early starter switch that should be there--just the slotted plate in the floorboard.

THANK YOU Rodger!

Some Model T Fords