View topic - Operating temp? for '23 Touring

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:58 pm 

Can anybody offer feedback on a proper running temperature? My '23 Touring has its original dogbone rad cap with thermometer on top. There is a circle cut out in the face; it says "Register in circle for High Efficiency". I know this is a zero pressure radiator.
So far my longest drive has been mebbe 7-8 miles, and weather is mild. My thermometer has consistently risen to approx. 1/4 inch from top of circle. It alarmed me at first, but it didn't climb to "steam" status.
Thanks, Rookie Texas Jim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:39 am 
I would have to look at my motometer but it sounds too hot for the distance you are driving. I think you want it more in the center of the range. Drive it farther and see if it goes higher. OR let it set and idle, might be safer. If you have an infrared thermometer it would be better to check it that way. You can scan the whole engine and radiator to see if you have hot spots. Infrareds are about $30 and are an excellent diagnostic tool, even for weak cylinder compression. They are good for checking wheel bearings too after a long drive.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:29 pm 

Thanks Doug that was my gut feeling too. Ok I'll check out an infrared thermo.
BTW I'm not running lean (mebbe a bit rich in fact) And timing is advanced. And I run 50/50 in the radiator.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:02 pm 
I just got back from a few day road trip, haven't checked my motometer. When you get the infrared, got mine at Horrible Freight, it registers several degrees off but is still the best tools for diagnostics. Water in radiator will be coldest at right side bottom as it goes toward water pump. Will be hottest at top where it comes back from engine. Check other areas to see if they are cold, signifying a block radiator because of no flow. Also check each cylinder on the side of the block, exhaust, head, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:37 pm 

Alrighty - taking Doug's good advice here's the results (yes digital laser thermo from Harbor Freight*

Running throttle above idle speed at a nice smooth clip. Didn't take too long to get the ol' Boyce Motometer temp up and pretty much holding at the last horizontal graduated line near top of circle. Not exceeding top of circle. Did not drive the car - just had it in fresh air running at curb, outside temp a nice 80'

Rad outlet (bottom) 139' Water pump outlet to block 160'
Top of head at top rad hose 205'

Opinions please? If this were a modern pressurized cooling system I'd be a big thumbs up. BTW I'm running 50/50 coolant. Am about 3 weeks out from my first intended parade, lots of idling...

*the lazer thermometer right out of the package I pointed it at a spoon on my kitchen counter. It measured 72', which was exactly the room temp. Did this a few more times on metallic objects in house and in garage - I'd say was spot on. Thanks Doug for the tip.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:50 pm 
Well, I finally looked at my motometer. It has a window or small hole through it and says temp is OK if in the circle. It seems as though yours is getting hot quickly, I think you said 8 miles? Drive it and check the radiator in different locations with your new toy. Is your tuneup correct, timing, valve adjustment, etc. ? All of that effects temperature.