View topic - Radiator flush

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Radiator flush
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:03 pm 

What publication of our Dodge newsletter tells how to flush the radiator to get rid of rust? Or just give me the instructions if you happen to know.

Post subject: Re: Radiator flush
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:38 pm 
Gil, I have used white vinegar in a few radiators. I drain and flush what I can then fill with vinegar and run for a few days. In an International tractor I cut my lawn about 3 times with pure vinegar, maybe 12 hours total over three weeks. Then flushed and rinsed with lots of water. LOTS of crud came out. No leaks or overheat.

Post subject: Re: Radiator flush
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:12 pm 

Thanks for the information. Gil

Post subject: Radiator flush
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:45 pm 

Vinegar is an acid (acetic acid). Make sure you flush with bicarbonate of soda afterwards to remove the acid.

You can use Evapo-Rust, a chelating agent for rust, which is not so cheap. Or use a cheaper chelating agent, such as oxalic acid, which is sold as wood bleach. I put 500 grams in my system (11 litres) for two weeks and flushed with sodium bicarb. Lots of rust came out in the flush too. You could probably leave the oxalic acid in for a month, with use. After this, I still needed to take the core plugs out and dig out a deposit around the rear cylinder. If I were doing it again, I would use a kg of oxalic acid powder and leave it in for 3 or 4 weeks.

I put a stocking foot in the top hose to catch the bits dislodged. It was choked. I should have changed it and run it some more.

Before doing this, I had the radiator rodded out. It was blocked in the bottom, in a triangle from the corners up into the middle. The car is a Dodge Brothers 8 DC.