View topic - 32 f10 windshield hinge

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 32 f10 windshield hinge
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:16 am 

I attempted to open my windshield, but it appears to be frozen. From what I can see its a rolled steel hinge on the frame and the windshield has a mating roll the fits inside the mounded rail. It looks clean from the outside but I am guessing that internally its rusted and frozen. I can get some movement but I think its mostly the metal bending and the screws giving a bit.

Any suggestions on how to free this up. I have applied some blaster into the joint but I don't think it can get to the affected area within the rolled area.

Thanks for any help

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:58 pm 

More patience, more deep creep, and light heat with a baby torch then more patience and repeat x 5 till you feel movement on it's own. We've all tried various penetrating fluids but I've found Deep Creep works the best on it's own. I've tested it against several and it always loosens what others won't. Never had much luck with PB Blaster myself for this type of work so it just sits on the shelf till I lube my bikes or other chains.

Other option may be to create a extension to get to it from the top but that would mean lifting the top somehow. May be more trouble than it's worth but there is a channel you can spray fluid down into that area on most of these pillars. If you went that route, a very small diameter clear tube attached to the end of the spray nozzle and flash light would work. I'd try the other options first before going to that extent unless you're redoing the top anyway, then it would be a perfect time to resolve that issue and try this method.

Also, make sure to use a very thin putty knife or something similar along all edges that meet to make it's free so when you do get the nuts loose it swings out like it should. Check both interior and exterior of the frame seals.
Nothing is easy on these old trucks

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:05 am 

Thanks David I will try the deep creep and more patience. The screws I refereed to that are moving are the ones that mount the top rail into the upper frame. Knowing that its not uncommon I will work it for a while till its free.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:34 pm 

Success the window is out and the hinge is off. I was able to work the window back and forth with deep creep and patience. When I was able to get to the screws they were pretty frozen. I found a great tool for "shocking" the screws. A craftsman electric hammer. It works like a hammer drill. It has short strokes so is firm but genital hits. After hitting the screws for a bit I was able to remove all of them without any stripping. Firm and slow pressure got them out.

For the hinge, Several days of deep creep and genital movement of the hinge finally got it kinda loose. Then with the electric hammer and a piece of wood, I was able to slide the hinge right off.