View topic - Adjusting the oil bypass pressure on 1930 DC8

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:51 pm 

Can anyone advise me on the way to adjust the oil bypass valve on my 1930 8 cylinder?

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:59 am 

RonBeer wrote:
Can anyone advise me on the way to adjust the oil bypass valve on my 1930 8 cylinder?

Refer to this in AACA Forum
https://forums.aaca.org/topic/330957-pr ... nt-2221008

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 12:30 am 

Thanks. My manual says 10 PSI at idle and I am getting close to 30 with the engine warm. Engine was rebuilt in late 60s with very low mileage since. If I cut the 10-30 oil with Marvel I get it down some. Think adjusting the valve is about the last thing to try to reduce the pressure.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:36 pm 

The adjustment is not meant to set running pressure . It is to set maximum , based on oil pumps out put .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:15 pm 

Any other ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:20 pm 

I do not have a eight cyl . but number of 30 seems fine to me . my four calls for 30 at 35mph when warm on pedal . If you want to post what you have in manual . I would like to read . Sounds more like a minimum . i use 15w-40 with a engine rebuild in 90's .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:42 pm 

"The oil pressure gauge, on the instrument panel, at normal driving speeds with warm engine and oil will show approximately 25 to 30 lbs. Greater pressure compresses a spring in the oil pressure relief valve, allowing excess oil to pass back into the engine oil pump sump."........"The oil pressure relief valve may be adjusted to increase pressure on the gauge, but it should not be touched until the oiling system has been carefully checked by an experienced mechanic. If the gauge shows inadequate or too great pressure, it indicates trouble in the oiling system....." "If it becomes necessary to adjust the oil pressure relief valve, the cap nut adjacent to the oil filter should be removed and the locking wire withdrawn. The slotted plug should be turned clockwise to increase the pressure or anti-clockwise to to decrease the pressure."
I should have reread that before I started the blog. Can't find a mechanic in town that knows anything about these valves. My idling oil pressure seems to hold at 25 to 30 with warm engine. An individual who was knowledgeable told me several years ago that idling pressure should be around 10. I would settle for 15 to 20. I think it was probably set a little too high at rebuild.