View topic - Graham Dodge Bus

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Graham Dodge Bus
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:56 pm 

I am trying to restore a 1924/5 Graham Dodge bus.
Any and all technical information will be very useful.
This particular bus was privately owned and used as a school bus.
It is essentially complete so wiring diagrams and operating instructions will be very helpful.

Does anyone on the list know of any other busses of that vintage ?

Thanks

Tom Ford

Post subject: Re: Graham Dodge Bus
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:01 pm 
Tom, do the seats go front to back or side to side? My neighbor has a '29 with seats that go front to back, sides are open. I would think a school bus of this vintage would be quite rare. Any idea of where it was used? Maybe a private school?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:55 am 

Hi Doug

The bus was privately owned but used under contract as a school bus for the Town of Natick , Massachusetts. It is a body model 202 streetcar type motor coach,capacity 21 passengers.

There is one 2 seat lengthwise bench opposite the driver , seven 2 seat seats crosswise and a 5 seat bench across the bus at the rear. The middle of the last bench is mounted on the emergency door.

Tom Ford

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:08 am 
Tom, I hope someone jumps in here that knows something about buses. My neighbor's has bench seats down the sides, might hold 5 or 6 on each seat. His seems to have been built as a cab and chassis, the sides are just flat sheetmetal with lots of rear overhang instead of a longer wheelbase. It's built las if it would have been a tourbus, more then a school bus. I've seen pics of similar buses to his from Yellowstone. Your schoolbus sure seems unusual, at least it would have been for THIS area. At that time schools were about 10-15 kids all living within walking distance. I checked all my DB pics and have nothing to help you with. I'll check some more this evening. Have you checked the club's stash at AACA library? What is the wheelbase, sounds long? Do you have any pics you can share? Do you have specific manuals for a bus? Tom, just looked through the club roster for 2011. There's a '23 school bus listed there, owned by a past AACA president. I now remember seeing it on the cover when he was Pres., didn't realise it was a bus at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:36 am 

tomford wrote:
I am trying to restore a 1924/5 Graham Dodge bus.
Any and all technical information will be very useful.
This particular bus was privately owned and used as a school bus.
It is essentially complete so wiring diagrams and operating instructions will be very helpful.

Does anyone on the list know of any other busses of that vintage ?

Thanks

Tom Ford

Hi Tom, as you may or may not know busses were built using Graham chasis with Dodge powertrain. I wouldnt say the bodies were custom built to order neccesarily as I am sure that Graham had a specific line of bodies avail ( although a chasis drivetrain alone could have been ordered and a coachwork company may have made just about any individual specific body the customer would be willing to pay for ) but they certaintely would have not been mass produced either for any great length of time without significant changes.

If you want a copy of the operating instructions than you need to determine the size of the chasis and look for that instruction book.

I doubt there ever was a handbook specifically tailored for your bus although I may be wrong.

There may ( almost surely ) be pamplets or brochures that show photos of your particluar body but I do not have them. I do however have photos and specifications for busses approx 1928 thru the very early thirties if that would help
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:19 pm 

Hello Tom, since my last post ( just tonight ) I received two more Graham Brothers dealer albums and one of them is dated 25/26, nearly 300 pages showing truck and bus models and their specs.

Might be you are intersted in this

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:49 pm 

HI JASON,

If the books show the model 202 bus does it have a split windsheild ?

Tom