View topic - Looking For A Delco Distributor Cap For My 1917 Touring Car

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:11 pm 

Looking for Delco Distributor Cap for my 1917 Dodge Touring Car. I checked with Myers
he has Northeast Cap this is a smaller cap don't fit, :) Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:05 pm 
There's usually a good supply on Ebay. And there's a guy at Hershey show that has new ones. They fit other cars too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:30 pm 

Hi Bernie! Sorry to kind of steal your thread, but I noticed you also have a Delco distributor and I'm having a little bit of a tough time figuring out what I'm not doing incorrectly to get my internals all together. I fear I might have the wrong condensor, however I'm not sure as I can't seem to find another one. Would you happen to have a picture of the innards or your distributor? The condensor I have seems to be too tall as to allow for proper clearance for the rotor to spin.

This is essentially what my internals look like right now, minus the condensor. The condensor I have is cylindrical and soldered to a tab that mounts to one of the baseplate posts, however it just doesn't seem to sit down far enough to clear the rotor arm.

Also regarding your cap, unfortunately I don't have another one, however there is this listing on ebay that ends in about 16 hours: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-BROTHERS-DELCO-DISTRIBUTOR-WITH-DELCO-REMY-RIBBED-COIL-1916-1917-/121848134640?hash=item1c5eb6fbf0:g:-G4AAOSwnipWbio~&vxp=mtr

I'm sure you'd rather not buy the entire assembly but that's all I could find for sale right now and I figured maybe if you can't find a cap anywhere maybe it might be worth it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:25 am 
I'm forgetting right now what the condenser looks like for a Delco. BUT it is specific to this use as it has two leads and is insulated from the housing. It grounds through the ignition switch which reverses polarity every time you start the car. The easy way is to mount any condenser on the outside and change the grounding. The car will run just fine. I'm sure Rodger can explain it more clearly, maybe he will jump in here?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:46 pm 

DougWalters wrote:
I'm forgetting right now what the condenser looks like for a Delco. BUT it is specific to this use as it has two leads and is insulated from the housing. It grounds through the ignition switch which reverses polarity every time you start the car. The easy way is to mount any condenser on the outside and change the grounding. The car will run just fine. I'm sure Rodger can explain it more clearly, maybe he will jump in here?

Another member on here actually just emailed me some documentation on the ignition coil assembly, and you're right, definitely specific to the delco. From the internal diagram it appears that the condensor is actually internal to the coil and not the distributor, which explains why I was having such a hard time getting things to fit!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:20 pm 

Doug is right there is no condenser in the distributor its inside the original coil, if you put a regular coil on which I may have to do because I can't find a good coil for mine, I will have to mount a condenser on the coil also. I will keep the old coil on to look original and hide the new type and condenser somewhere it won't be seen.
Michael I have the same distributor as the picture you sent, Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:16 pm 

Here is the inside on a Delco Distributor on my 1917 Touring Car Dodge, There will be three photo's

Attachments:
DSC05818.JPG
DSC05818.JPG [ 2.81 MiB | Viewed 26471 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:48 am 

More PHoto's

Attachments:
DSC05814.JPG
DSC05814.JPG [ 2.89 MiB | Viewed 26468 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:38 pm 

Here is the last of the photo's you were looking for some time ago of the inside
od the distributor

Attachments:
DSC05817.JPG
DSC05817.JPG [ 2.92 MiB | Viewed 26467 times ]