View topic - 1925 Dodge Brothers Type-A or Type-B Sedan

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:27 am 

Having a frame-off restoration of our 1925 Dodge Brothers Sedan and it's now down to the frame with chassis completely off, roof removed, etc. and ready for media blasting. Still confused if I have a Type-A or Type-B as front seat folds-up with storage, interior is a tan mohair (believe original but ??), and has disc wheels and not wooden spokes.

I've contacted the Library at the AACA for any/all information, pictures, etc. but wondered if anyone in the Club has pictures of a correctly restored (exterior and interior) of either of these cars. I also wrote to Chrysler and received a small package back that they did not keep build sheets before 1930 so newer owners should be able to get build sheets still from Chrysler Historical Services.

Thanks for any help and hope to have some pictures to share shortly.

Bill :D

Attachments:
File comment: Very beginning of tear-down
Beginning of Tear Down.jpg
Beginning of Tear Down.jpg [ 144.93 KiB | Viewed 31370 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:37 pm 
Bill, have you read the Dodge Story by McPherson? It makes your question pretty confusing. In '24 it lists an A and B sedan, but also talks about deluxe,standard and business. The deluxe traditionally came with nickeled radiator shell and cowl lights. The business is discussed as having a removable rear seat. The A and B designation was dropped in '26 because it was confusing. Have you looked at the club's sequential changes list, maybe it would shed light on it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:07 pm 

I have not but will certainly look it up. I have the book "The Dodge Brothers". My radiator is nickel plated as are the trim rings on headlights. Rear seat is stationary but front seat pivots upward with a hinge for storage under. I've communicated with Vern at Romar and he indicated it's nearly impossible to get all the true facts of the car because they would often make changes mid-stream. Mine was a late 1924 build with serial number A218-206 and engine A290-649.

Thanks for the help as I continue to dig. Hope to see all in June!!

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:52 pm 
My thought is they never made two DB's the same. I've looked at a lot of them, haven't seen two alike yet. There were some sedans with leather interior too. Is yours a Fisher body, would have a Body by Fisher tag on lower right cowl.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:18 pm 

Body was already gone from restoration shop and to the media blaster so I will look again but I don't remember a Fisher Body logo anywhere. I did order the book you recommended so thanks much!! Where is the section that I'd need to go to within the Club to ID the sequential changes list?

Thanks again.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:38 pm 
It's called Design Changes for the DB four cylinder cars. I have no idea how to use the online store,. If you email the store, Kim and Tom, they will send it to you. The list shows changes by serial number, and date. BUT the kicker is there is a transition period too, as all assembly lines might not change to the new part at the same time. Multiply that times 4 or 10 parts being changed at a time and no two are alike.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:49 pm 

Tried to Google "Design Changes for the DB four cylinder cars" but came back with no hits. Any idea of website address? Thanks again and moving along fast.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:58 pm 
Go on the club store page, on page two it is listed for $5. As i said i don't know how to use the online store, I don't buy on a confuser. Kim and Tom's email should be in the club newsletter. If not I can give it to you by PM. By your serial number it looks like your car was built end of Nov. '24? There is a lot of discussion about different types of sedans in this list. If you read it like a lawyer you MAY be able to figure out what's up with your car.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:29 am 
Bill, go to AACA library site, go to online catalog, go to search online catalog, then type in 1925 dodge sedan. Chris has a color brochure that shows all models and MIGHT describe the differences between A and B. There may be more with different searches. The one I saw was 08-D4469. Tell Chris I sent you, he can copy it and send it to you in color.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:49 am 

Outstanding. I had also joined the AACA and asked for any/all literature, pictures, etc. through their research department about 2 weeks ago but will also try Chris, dropping your name as well. Body was off to media blasting already and frame will soon depart so our restoration guy is trying to have us all ready for June. Am also slowing finding parts places like Romar (great people!!) and soon to get some things from Myers as well. Attempting Glen Snyder for steering wheel and always looking for more. I've got the list from DBC and might also subscribe to Hemming's which I did 20+ years ago when I owned a 1939 Chrysler Royal Sedan.

You've been most helpful and my many thanks as I am quickly learning this vehicle that my father had for the last 20+ years and put less than 500 miles on her that now brings the total to 18,751 original.

Bill

Attachments:
File comment: Body gone.....frame is next once motor is pulled. This guy is good and brisk while meticulous with his work, labeling every piece. Pile now off for re-nickeling or chroming.
Dodge Tear Down - 2 007.JPG
Dodge Tear Down - 2 007.JPG [ 2.75 MiB | Viewed 31329 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:23 pm 
Glen Snyder does excellent work, see him at several local shows. You are very ambitious if you will have this car ready for Detroit. Go through the online search for other articles. Let me know if Chris wants to charge you extra because I sent you. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:04 pm 

I agree....right now I'm trying to figure out how to remove the trim rings on the high-mounted turn signals and headlights for sending off for coating. Lot's to learn and can't wait for the AACA information as I'm sure most of what I'm trying to do is easier than it certainly seems.

I'll post some pics along the way and am using Milestone Paint and Body (custom guys that put back to original) and they are feverish in their pace. Was a complete vehicle just over a week ago!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:33 pm 
By high mounted turn signal do you mean cowl lights? Push in about 3/16 inch evenly and turn left. Rings should be nickle. Qual Chrome in Erie is very good. Don't have anything with cowl lights, that's a deluxe thing. Headlight rings are spun brass and probably cracked from stress. It sounds like you need a Book of Information? That is what DB called the owner's manual. Looks like there's a '25 in the library stash that Chris could copy for you, either paper or disc. Call him on Tuesday, not there on Monday. Books of Info were printed whenever enough changes were made to the car to warrant a new book. You want the one printed JUST before your car was built.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:06 pm 

Yes, cowl lights that upon more reading does seem to make this a Deluxe Model and other things I continue to read now possibly take me back to a Type-A Deluxe Model.

Will try working on the cowl lights some more and thanks again for all your help.....while this has been in the family over 20+ years, never got into it with my father like I'm now forced to in an attempt to get ready for June.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:48 pm 
Bill, there is a brochure on ebay right now that might shed some light on your question. It is being sold by paperhaven, no idea who that is. It's pretty expensive at around $500 and for a '26. There should be written text on the back of the pictures describing each model. I bought a similar brochure several years ago for a '27, less the 1/10 the price of this one.