View topic - Reading odometers '17 touring

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:15 pm 

How do I read actual mileage on my Johns-Manville speedo /odo that only shows 4 digits for "total" miles traveled plus the two digits for "trip"? Surely this car has gone more than 8,666 which is showing and surely the Brothers knew their dependable cars were capable of going many tens of thousands with proper maintenance.

So with the "total" at 8,666 and the "trip" at 53, what mileage does this car have?

Attachments:
File comment: Dash
DSCN3160.JPG
DSCN3160.JPG [ 218.01 KiB | Viewed 8528 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:12 am 

I have received a plausible explanation of why some odometers in the early years only read below ten thousand miles. It is that since the maintenance schedule was calling for things to be done in the hundreds of miles, it was really irrelevant to know anything as great as ten thousand.

So just as many of us have watched odometers "roll over" some number that felt like a milestone in our post WWII cars, the early owners would have felt the 10K was a big deal and just started watching towards their next scheduled maintenance.

Since the only surviving family member of the '17 DB car I just bought was 14 years old when the car was parked (he is a sharp 90 now), he could not provide me any idea of what the actual total mileage of the car may be. Could only report that the car was well used and always up to the task whether leaving San Antonio for Houston, Galveston, the Texas Hill Country, or any other, but Galveston was its furthest trip to his knowledge.