View topic - New member intro

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New member intro
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:07 pm 

Howdy to all y'all, I've recently joined and today gotten my new member package with online signup instructions so here I am.

Am picking up my purchase of a one family owned '17 DB winter touring (has Rex top) that was parked in this spot since 1937 when they could not source the needed tire size. The original purchaser, Mr Forestello is gone of course, but one of his sons who is now 90 is selling the car with the help of his son who did the ad for the car.

Car would have been sold new at A.E. Staacke Automobile Co. about one block from the Alamo in San Antonio as they were an early DB distributor. The car had an excellent life in its early years taking this family around town and on many outings to the beach (Gulf of M.) and touring the Texas Hill Country including the Guadalupe River running through my city of Kerrville. I'll ask its furthest trips but I expect the answer to be Houston and Dallas.

Always dependable, this became their second car when they bought a new '33 Dodge deluxe model but the lack of tires put it up on blocks.

Appreciate the existence of the club, its past and present workers and will be using the forum for my questions.

Attachments:
File comment: '17 DB touring Graefen side
00J0J_fbXLYgmwDu4_600x450.jpg
00J0J_fbXLYgmwDu4_600x450.jpg [ 33.55 KiB | Viewed 14220 times ]
File comment: '17 DB touring Graefen
00R0R_4VRhcvoPjkI_600x450.jpg
00R0R_4VRhcvoPjkI_600x450.jpg [ 19.23 KiB | Viewed 14220 times ]
 Post subject: Re: New member intro
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:45 pm 
Welcome Wayne, I like your car. Too bad you didn't have the car last April when the DB club had it's Nat'l meet in Brenham, Texas. A few of us made the trip to the Alamo while there. Winter tops are quite rare. Have you had it running yet?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:26 pm 

Thank you. I retrieve it Saturday. It has not run since 1937 so I may need a bit of time and a few parts. Tires would be a good thing too as these were bought eighty years ago and worn out when parked!

I'll be counting on this club for knowledge and moral support. I do have extensive hobby background so the questions should at least sound intelligent.

Attachments:
DSCN3157.JPG
DSCN3157.JPG [ 244.97 KiB | Viewed 14213 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:58 pm 

Oh, and on your meet here in '13 in Texas, I wish I had known but of course was not even aware of the car at the time. When you were at the Alamo you were less than two miles from this car.

It would be nice to see who attended and with what cars but there is no album of photos in the gallery. Is someone going to post some up?

Why do I own this October of '17 -built DB touring? Because my grandfather bought a new touring in spring of '18 in Chicago - the first automobile in my family history. In the attached photo, gramps is learning to drive, my uncle George is smiling for the camera and my father, age 5, is in the back seat.

Attachments:
Grandpa's1918Dodge_Ray-backseat.jpg
Grandpa's1918Dodge_Ray-backseat.jpg [ 140.12 KiB | Viewed 14211 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:20 pm 
Look in the gallery at the 2013 meet pics, there lots of them.You should recognize some of the locations. I think your engine picture just answered a question I've had. When you get the car home would you take a picture of the firewall on the passengers side where the horn mounts? I have an '18 with a reinforcement and two bolt holes one above the other about where your horn is mounted. The reinforcement is spot welded in place. My horn is mounted on the engine, which is correct but I think the bracket is a carry over from where yours is mounted. I'd be really tempted to drive your car as is, with new tires of course.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:26 pm 

Now I have gotten into the gallery and found the 2013 meet photos of spring in our beautiful Texas Hill Country, if only the eastern foothills. Great group of cars attended. Pity most photos can not be enlarged for good viewing. Wish I'd been there with car. Y'all come back now ya hear?

Attaching specific pic I took of the horn if that is helpful. Need more? -ask.

Yes, immediate plans are for a so-called "oily-rag" restoration to get it up and running on new tires and then see what must be done after that. Own other cars that are show-worthy and sitting around on macadam waiting for a judging team stopped being fun quite some time ago.

Suppose y'all didn't see the other '17 DB touring in San Antonio either? Quite disassembled and I will visit him after mine is home. I'll get numbers if avail.

Attachments:
File comment: Horn
DSCN3158.JPG
DSCN3158.JPG [ 223.66 KiB | Viewed 14197 times ]