View topic - 29 six cyl oil

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 29 six cyl oil
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:18 pm 

I have a 29 DA sedan with a six cyl. What is a good oil to use in the engine?
Thanks rggcar@aol.com

Post subject: Re: 29 six cyl oil
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:27 pm 
I use a straight 30 wt Non Detergent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:34 pm 
Me too. This question usually starts arguments about antique cars. If the engine is a fresh rebuild I would use detergent oil after breakin. If an old engine non detergent.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:46 pm 

Thanks. I was told that the eng was rebuilt. I am not sure, so ill use non detergent.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:48 pm 

You really should use detergent oil. If you're not sure regarding a rebuild, you need to find out or investigate. Without detergent oil, you will build up more and more sludge, which is harmfull to the engine. The reason people say not ti use detergent oil on old engines is becaue they already have sludge built up internally and the fear is that switching to detergent oil will dislodge some of the sludge and cause blockage. You are much better off to pull the pans, investigate, clean, and use detergent oil.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:51 pm 
FWIW, I ruined an engine by switching. The engine had high mileage but ran very good, used no oil. I switched to HD and a short time after had no oil pressure. The filter was completely clogged with crud which was easy to fix with a new filter. But the HD cleaned out the rings and every nook and cranny that engine had. From then on it leaked, rattled and smoked like a fright train. Left alone I think this engine would have lasted a long time. I would not switch again. Granted if an engine is a fresh rebuild I would use HD after the engine was broken in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:16 pm 

That's basically the problem. AN old, sludged up engine can mask the fact that it's worn out and needs repair. Switching to detergent removes the mask. Not switching let's the owner go on wit that good feeling that nothing is wrong. The fact is, it's a cap shoot. It may last, or it may have a catastrophic failure. I cranked wrenches when cars using non-detergent oil were on the road. I saw alot of people that were happy to continue to use non-detergent in there old car. It didn't change the fact that there were underlying problems, and that they continued to get worse, just as long as the car still sounded good. Personally, I'd rather take the time to clean it out, inspect, switch to detergent oil, and be driving an engine with known condition.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:08 am 

As long as an old sludged up engine is running fine without any issues, what’s there to unmask? God forbid but if there is to be a catastrophic failure by using non detergent oil, it certainly will occur sooner using HD oil in an old original engine. I change my oil once a year every summer and I typically drive the car about 300 miles a year. I use 40W non-detergent. Every time I remove the oil strainer screen, I am amazed how dirt and scum free it is.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:57 pm 

FrancisFarris wrote:
As long as an old sludged up engine is running fine without any issues, what’s there to unmask? God forbid but if there is to be a catastrophic failure by using non detergent oil, it certainly will occur sooner using HD oil in an old original engine. I change my oil once a year every summer and I typically drive the car about 300 miles a year. I use 40W non-detergent. Every time I remove the oil strainer screen, I am amazed how dirt and scum free it is.

I'm not arguing with whatever you want to do to your car. I'm only speaking to the mechanics (engineering view) of sludge in an engine. In a worn bearing, sludge at the exit of the oil flow will act as a dam to reduce flow out of the bearing, keeping it it lubricated. It also plugs oil passages and prevents oil from flowing to other areas in the volume that was intended. This "masks" what is happening mechanically in a worn, sludged engine, keeping it operating until bearing get so bad that the y wear out, score journals, etc. You won't see sludged oil at your oil change given the frequency of your oil changes. It builds up in the engine and clings to the internal surfaces. Using detergent oil keeps these surfaces clean, sludge free. The ONLY way detergent oil leads to a quicker catastrophic failure is if you switch, and DO NOT inspect and correct problems like worn bearings, journals etc. That's why I specified, inspection and repair. I have no problem on you doing what you want with your car. But given the lack of readily available replacements parts for our cars, I choose to inspect and repair my engines and run with a KNOWN good engine while using detergent oil to keep the internals clean rather than running an old "unknown conition" engine because it still sounds good.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:33 am 
David, I agree with absolutely everything you've said. But most of us only drive a few hundred miles a year, some less or more. I choose to do what ever it takes to keep my cars driveable. An engine that runs OK, is going to be left alone.