View topic - '16 tie rod shape & headlight buckets

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:57 am 
My May '16 DB tie rod has met with some interesting times--it has bends in it that I'm certain were not there originally. I tried 3 times to attach a picture of it here, but the system stops communicating with me when I try, so you're stuck with a written description. There are two bends near each end that appear to be factory, and offset the center of the tie rod. There are two bends in the center of this section that appear to be accidental. Is the tie rod offset for these cars? it moves the center of the rod down about an inch, and forward about a half-inch--I'm guessing here! This tie rod has only one end adjustment and it's on the Passenger side.
Headlight buckets for this time period--I have two buckets with no provision for a headlamp bulb adjustment (focus). These buckets also have a large round wire shaped to form the "hook" that holds the reflector and the lens rim on, unlike the other two which have the focusing screw and flat metal "hooks" that are spot welded to the bucket. Of course both use a flat spring at the hooks, although the wire ones use a slightly different spring shape, but the stamped metal hook springs will fit. Which ones are right for my car?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:33 am 

There is a picture in the illustrated parts book showing the two offset bends to either side. I would venture anything else has been truly "incident-al" and should be straightened.

I have a '17 touring and when purchased my tie rod had about a 3" arc from end to end! I straightened it out before seeing the parts book and it does not currently interfere, still is within range of adjustment.

Can't comment on your headlights other than to say mine have no springs nor adjustability.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:04 pm 
Thanks Wayne, that's a big help on the tie rod. Since there is adjustment only on the one side, I'd hate to make it too long by straightening out the offsets!
As to the headlights, the springs I'm mentioning are the flat ones that push against the inside of the headlight rims to "lock" them in place. The focusing screw is on the back side of the bucket, a little off-center. So, for the buckets without that screw & adjustment, how is the headlight socket held in the reflector? Does this require a different reflector than the later ones?
I may have to "run" the later style while looking for the parts for the earlier type!
Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:07 pm 
Under post a reply,Submit your question or reply,Go down to where it says upload attachment click on browse find your attachment you want to up load in your computer click on it and open it.Up above you will see submit (not the one by attachment)click on that and it should go.
If it doesn't go your pic is to large.640x 425 is good 320x 212 is better
If you don't get it send it to me and I can post it under your reply

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:29 am 
I guess it was the size, although it was only 30k, it was too long! Thanks.
So, here's what my tie rod looks like right now.
Attachment:
File comment: My Tie Rod
Tie Rod DB Forum.JPG
Tie Rod DB Forum.JPG [ 11.21 KiB | Viewed 27922 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:33 am 

The flat spring steel springs that are in place over the three attachment points of the bucket for bezel/rim attachment to give holding pressure are all six broken on my car. About 3 days ago I put in an inquiry to the Myers as I was told they had made them at one point but they do not appear in the catalog. I have not heard back as yet.

Hopefully the attached picture is adequate to show one of these. Hector Esteves photo of his '17 headlight.

Attachments:
HdltSpring.jpg
HdltSpring.jpg [ 2.23 MiB | Viewed 27916 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:00 pm 

David, the round wire retainers and the non bulb adjuster headlights is correct for your car. I think the adjuster came in around 1921 or 22. My early 22 had one of each! The tie rod should definitely be bent. That is to clear the oil pump on the engine. My 1st DB I went to great lengths to straighten it, only to discover why it was that way, then had to re-bend it. :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:02 am 
Wayne, yep that's the second type--guess I'd better take care of all the springs I have! I will try to take some pics tomorrow of the early light
Dave,
Your tie-rod experience sounds like something I would do--which why I'm posting this! My DB friend thought it should be straight, but I didn't think so--so one point for me (that seldom happens, so I'm countin' any I get!) :)
Thanks for the reply on the headlights--so how is the headlight socket held in the reflector--I think I only have reflectors for the adjustment screw type headlamps.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:10 am 

If I remember correctly they are different for the early lights. The bulb and socket fit in the reflector. It has been quite a few years since i did my early ones. I did have better luck with the lights grounding correctly with the earlier lights, so that is what I have on my screenside. They have the tabs like your adjustable lights but are still non adjustable.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:32 am 
Dave or someone that really knows? I think there are different tie rods. Some are bent and some are straight.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:18 pm 
Under " Why can't I post pics?" thread, Rick has posted some of my headlight pictures--and I managed to copy them to here! Sorry it was raining when I took them. Other than the surface rust, these appear to be in pretty good shape, although nowhere as nice as my focus screw ones. Notice the wire hooks are just soldered to the shell, and the later stamped hooks are spot welded to the shell. Since the reflector and bulb socket are different for these; if anyone has some pics of them, could you please post them so we'll know what to look for?
Thanks!
Oh yeah; is the nickeled rim different? Looks like the later ('18-'22) would fit.

Last edited by Guest on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:02 pm 
Dave your tie rod appears to have four bends so the center section is parallel to the ends. My '18 has two slight bends 16 inches from each end.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:58 pm 
Doug,
I'm trying to picture your tie rod; just two bends, does this mean the ends are not parallel with the road surface, just the part between the two ends?
I'm fairly certain from other conversations, that my tie rod should have the 4 bends, making the ends parallel and the center too.
Any confirmations out there???

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:47 pm 
Let me get a better picture of mine, it's off the car.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:15 am 

When I got my '17 DB touring a couple months ago the tie rod looked something like a snake rounding a barrell and who knows how many times it had been bent and straightened to someone's whim of what it should be. With the help of a friend's 20 ton press it became very straight and with eyeball toe-in it filled the adjustment rod end to all but two threads.
Then I learned from others that this was going to result in a clearance problem to the oil pickup at the front of the oil pan. Since the car is on my lift for numerous reasons, I didn't see that at first but the reality was obvious that if the springs were compressed towards "bottom out", the rod would be against the pickup.
So after some measures and marks, back off came the rod and over to friend's press. By the parts book illustration and my old school math, two 10o bends were made toward each end of the rod to give it a "step" shape. This gives equal clearance between the axle and the oil pickup.
As you are thinking, this shortened the overall length of the rod but back on the car and eye-aligned again, there are only five less rod threads in the adjustment sleeve. A good 80% of the threads remain inside the sleeve.

Attachments:
File comment: Looking up from under car
TieRodOffset.JPG
TieRodOffset.JPG [ 267.48 KiB | Viewed 27843 times ]
File comment: As seen through right wheel
OffsedtfromRt.JPG
OffsedtfromRt.JPG [ 170.29 KiB | Viewed 27845 times ]