View topic - Removal of front seat back on a 1929 Dodge Bro's 4 door seda

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:49 am 

I am a proud new owner of a very restorable 1929 DA. I am in the process of dismantalling everything inside and out. I am stumped on how to remove the front seat back. Can anyone help? Also, I removed the front brake drum with considerable work. It appears that this should now have been done since the nut treads appear to have been damaged. Any ideas here?

Post subject: Welcome to the DA crowd,
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:11 pm 
Welcome to the DA crowd, Dennis. I have a '29 sedan as well. DA's are a strange and interesting DB, have never seen two exactly alike. I will look at my seat this weekend, have never taken it out. As to the spindle threads, just how bad are they? There is an inexpensive tool called a thread file. They are about $5, square and sort of look like a regular file. Each side has a differant pitch for differant threads per inch. WITH CARE, I've repaired many threads for things I did not have a die for. Are the threads in the nut bad also? Would probably be a good idea to get another, rather then risk haveing it be loose.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:08 pm 

Dennis and Doug, I have a '29 DA sedan too. As far as front seat removal there are the screws into the floorboards after you remove the bottom cushion. Then there are bolts through the sides of the seat into the door pillar. Those bolts are under the upper side portion of the seat where the pillar is. To get to them you have to feel between the crease of that upper side portion and the actual back of the seat if that makes sense......you should be able to feel the bolt....I could only get in there w/ a crescent wrench to remove as the upholstery doesn't allow for a socket. Hope that helps.

Post subject: damanage threads
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:13 pm 
I have in that past used a new castle nut to chase damange treads Just start the nut with the split end first .

Vern

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:28 pm 

Thanks for all of the replies. If possible, please email me pictures of your 1929's. I am thinking of changing the original color and want to know if this is a NO NO.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:51 pm 

Dennis,

My car is in the garage, apart and not really photo worthy (also, I read that I can't post a photo onto an existing reply???) I know purists will say to restore in the original color (I think a build card is available through Chrysler is you give them the vin #)....is your color original or a repaint?. On the other hand I've seen photos of restored Dodges not in their original color. Some people will look at the colors available for Dodge in '29 and pick from those (I believe a Duco list is available online). Many will just pick whatever they want. I've seen photos of the 29's in one color, two color and even 3 color schemes, not counting the pinstripe. So to me it would be to do whatever you want, but maybe Google some cars and stay within vintage color schemes. (in the 70's I remember people overdoing the tan and chocolate brown schemes!) Also, I've seen the wood wheels painted and in natural finish. (Mine were originally green, but I opted for natural) Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:09 pm 
bobzetnick wrote:
(also, I read that I can't post a photo onto an existing reply???)

This was a limitation of the old forum software. The new forums don't have this limitation.