View topic - 15-16 Glove box questions!-- and a speedo question

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:00 am 
On the '15-'16 glove boxes, the hinge wire is bent as it crosses the door, kind of a lazy Z shape, with one end of the Z much longer than the other (the outside end), what is this for, and how does one remove or install the door? Bend the wire??
Was the door spring loaded at all to stay in the closed postition, or was it only held there by the latch.
And now about the latch--I have two dashes, and neither one has the latch mechanism, just the hole in the door with two rivet holes on either side--actually one door does still have the metal plate against the door from the latch, but nothing else. What am I looking for??
Many thanks!!
Oh, my '16 Speedo remains are different from any others I've seen--the hole in the dash for it has a 'cone' shaped cutout where the trip wheel is, and the front plate covers this, with the wheel somewhat recessed (the cover has a recessed slot for the wheel). Also, the speedometer cable mount comes out that side of the speedometer with a 90 degree end for the cable (the cable opening points straight down. Since my speedo is badly damaged & missing most of the parts, I am planing on making a trim ring for a replacement speedo (the normal dial one with the cable straight out the bottom) to cover this hole (it's a factory hole so I don't want to change it). I figure that way, if I ever find the right speedo, I can just change them out. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:57 am 
IS this the speedo?

Attachments:
JPEG Image (5090882).jpg
JPEG Image (5090882).jpg [ 622.22 KiB | Viewed 18571 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:56 pm 
Nope, my ring doesn't have that lift piece, and the trip wheel is at a slight slant with the slot recessed a bit (the ring is indented where the slot is cut into it. I do believe the face should look like that, but none of the mechanism is in the case, except for three of the trip meter wheels (in very poor condition). The speedo I plan on using does look like that, and I will make a faceplate very similar to that so it can fill the hole for now.
We are puzzling over how the trip wheel should work, as the shaft has two springs on it, that lever may answer the question! (my replacement speedo doesn't have the face ring)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:16 pm 
can you show me a picture of what you have, both broken speedo and dash? I will give you a picture of the lock too, keep forgetting to take camera to the shop. The lock is findable, the key is close to impossible. But I think all keys are the same, from what I'm told. SO find a buddy with a key and copy it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:40 pm 
If you email me at DAW1@comcast.net I will send you some pics. I don't feel like fighting this website to post pics.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:08 am 
Just to keep the readers informed, Doug & I have been emailing and it appears my car MAY have had the unusual Van Sicklen speedometer (air driven speedometer!). Jury is still out though!