View topic - DBC website concerns

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DBC website concerns
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:48 am 

Hi all,

I was hoping we can get an open dialog on how to help out with the website. I know most of us are not expert computer wiz kids, but I believe most of us have a heart to help others.

If there is anything we can do to help please let some of us know.

A couple of ideas that would make it a friendlier site to use:

1.) Fix pictures that are outdated and cannot be linked or allow us to upload new ones.
2.) Update advisors and contact info so others can reach out more easily.

3.) Allow classified ads to PM owners and have notifications sent to their email to alert them.

These are just a few ideas as I'm sure others have much better ideas to help create a friendlier site that hopefully gets more use in the future.

Regards
Dave

Post subject: Re: DBC website concerns
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:41 pm 

Is there anyone running this page?
Some of the posts are really old. The pinned post at the very top, Sorry about Rick's dad, but it has been over a year.
The post at the top of this section is way over a year old! Either it should be pulled or rewritten/updated with information about 2023 Hershy swap meet.
Frankly seeing how stale the posts are, IE age of them and lack of replies, really can't be helping viewership.
Next; I see a Not secure warning when I open this page. That should be addressed.
Also, when you post a reply, it should take you back to the message you are replying to, not have to reopen the message board.
Most of the viewership is now on the club Facebook page and I have not seen a lot of promoting of this page over there.
Some people really don't like Facebook, some of them never have even set foot there so really don't have any clear picture of what is going on there. The biggest problem with FB is in my opinion, not searchable by topic to use for referencing but great for I need help now.
For those that don't know, AACA holds the library for this club and sorry to say, has a great Dodge Brothers page.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:10 pm 

The name says it all………….DODGE Brothers CLUB.
To admit there is not a reservoir of computer literate Dodge owners is comparable to a recent statement which says that Generation Xer’s are more interested in collecting “antique” cars than Baby Boomers.
Well, gee, this is really true if the AACA definition of a “antique” car being more than 25 years of age is applied. Then, all the cars made prior to 1998 becomes statistically countable as collectible “antiques”.
This is not semantics or a play of words to prove, or disprove, that a person who owns a 1980 Ford Pinto possesses the talents and traits I possess when I want to talk about the transmission or clutch of my 1923 DODGE Brothers Roadster.
Counter point is that there just may be a person, born in 1967, who does possess knowledge about a 1980 Pinto, as well as a 1923 DB Roadster, as well as being retired and fully capable of setting up a functional DB Club wep page.
I suggest that other such clubs be looked at, critically evaluate the way they procure talent needed to fill jobs like a web page designer, and do it.
By the way, I pay as much in dues to the DB Club as I do the Cushman Club of America and the Willys, Overland, Knight Registry (WOKR) and I have completed builds on a 47 Cushman and a 27 Willys, and much of the help on obtaining information and parts came directly from members, via the web site.
What does the BB Club do differently in regards to the way dues are spent for member benefits, I.e. a functional web page?
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:29 am 

First I want to say how thankful I am to Howard whos doing the best that he can. Out of all of those clubs mentioned, I wonder how many have the club Treasurer also maintaining the Clubs website? Probably none, so I think we need to be grateful for his efforts and his willingness to help out where none of us have. Afterall, we truly don't know what it takes to even so much as edit or maintain this site.

Having said that, the financials are available on page 8 of July-August 2023 newsletter, but I don't see any itemization for website expenses. Maybe this would be more properly addressed by petitioning the President or other Officers to see if a small part of the budget can be applied to the website design and operation? I don't know the answers, but my hope is an open and civilized dialog will lead to improvements that benefit the membership as a whole while creating more traffic and interest in the club.